You can’t beat a good chocolate fudge cake. Ok, so it’s not the healthiest thing in the world but it’s absolutely gorgeous and perfect for when you need a little bit of a treat.
This super-easy chocolate fudge cake from Good Housekeeping is guaranteed to disappear as soon as you cut the first slice.
Hands on time:
1 hr 55 mins
FOR THE CAKE
- 225 g (8oz) butter, chopped
- 225 g (8oz) plain chocolate, roughly chopped
- 450 g (1lb) caster sugar
- 175 ml (6fl oz) milk
- 4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 ml (5fl oz) sour cream
- 250 g (9oz) plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 40 g (1½oz) cocoa powder
FOR THE ICING
- 200 g (7oz) plain chocolate, roughly chopped
- 50 ml (2fl oz) double cream
- 40 g (1½oz) golden syrup
- 200 g (7oz) unsalted butter, very soft
- 250 g (9oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 12 chocolate truffles, optional, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan) mark 3. Grease a deep, round 20.5 cm (8in) cake tin, then line with baking parchment. To make the cake, put the butter, chocolate, sugar and milk into a large pan and gently melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth and glossy. Set aside to cool slightly – about 5min.
- Whisk the eggs and sour cream into the chocolate mixture, then sift over the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and whisk together. Scrape mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1hr 45min or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely in the tin.
- To make icing, put chocolate, cream and golden syrup into a medium pan; heat gently until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat the softened butter and sifted icing sugar in a large bowl until combined. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and beat to combine.
- Cut the cooled cake in half horizontally. Use some of the icing to sandwich the halves together, then spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake. Transfer to a cake stand or plate and top with a crown of truffles, if you like.
Total fat: 47g
Saturated fat: 29g
Total carbs: 99g